Assignment for 2011-12-06 (PM1)
Read Flat in Ringsand pp 34-43 and answer the following.
Look through the text and answer the questions
- "She put on her black dress and her big earrings, then she took them off." Why?
- Did Jo like the party?
- What did the nurses know about Nessa and Pauline?
- Why was the party stopped? Who was to blame?
- How did Jo get acquainted with Mickey and Sean?
- What did they advise Jo to do?
Agree or disagree using the following phrases
certainly, of course, sure, you are right, quite correct; I'm afraid that's wrong, on the contrary, surely not, you are mistaken... etc.
- Then the door of the downstairs flat opened and the heat and noise flooded out into the hall. There were about fifty people squashed into the rooms.
- She was packed into a group of bright-faced, laughing people, and she felt as green as her sweater and skirt.
- Nessa and Pauline were dead, murdered by drunks, and here she was talking about telephones to some fool.
- 'Burned to death, both of them. Both of them burned to bloody death.'
- It had been a room full of smoke and drink and music and people dancing and people talking about everything.
- The two men thought that everybody in the party was firing things at them so they threw one stone before leaving.
- Some of the men helped to pick the last bit of broken glass out, and a sheet of thin metal was found to put over the hole.
Find Russian equivalents. Describe the situations where they are used. Make 3 sentences using each.
- Wide awake
- to bleed
- residential area
- to faint
- to burst into
Answer the following questions
- What is this story about?
- Did you like the main character or not? Why?
- Which character did you like more? Why?
- What pictures could you imagine while reading the story? What helped you to see them?
- What is your attitude towards the story? Did you like it or not? Why?
- Make a prediction on the topic "In a year/decade Jo ..."